Sunday, January 12, 2014

Counting - Radio #1 - The Kenwood TH-D7E

Today I took the time to unbox a Kenwood TH-D7E I had in storage for quite a few years.
This radio dates back to the late 90s when APRS was the next big thing.
The Kenwood TH-D7E is an amateur radio handheld transceiver (HT) capable of 2 meter and 70 centimeter band operation along with an embedded 1200/9600 baud terminal node controller. The radio also contains an implementation of the Automatic Position Reporting System (APRS) capable of broadcasting the radio's position when coupled with an external serial-attached GPS receiver.
It's a neat an capable radio, that I plan on reusing (more on this latter).
The unboxed TH-D7E is complete and working. It includes the original Kenwood BC-17 wall charger, a Kenwood SM-34 microphone and a Kenwood PB-38 battery. All items are factory original and in like new condition.
I have misplaced the original rubber duck antenna, but I am pretty sure that if I look for it I will find it. The original antenna has been replaced by a Diamond SHR-536 antenna that has better gain.
Since I do not like misplacing things, finding the original rubber duck is now something I'll just have to do. :)
Here are a few pics of the unboxing.










And, of course, after all these years, a master reset was done to the radio.
Here's how (this also works for the TH-D7A and TH-D7A(G):
  1. With the power off press the F key, and turn the radio on.
  2. Reset appears in the screen.
  3. Press up or down on the jog cursor to select either VFO or FULL reset.
  4. Press OK.
  5. Now press up or down, and select Yes or No.
  6. Press OK.
That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment